Postling

p2

Postling village and civil parish is situated near the Roman road of Stone Street, about 17 miles (27 km) south of Canterbury, Kent, in South East England. Postlinges is the spelling used in the Domesday Book where it was part of the lands of Hugo de Montsort; Postlinge is also seen in old records. There is much archaeological evidence of continued occupation of the area. Postling Place is the old manor house.

The church is dedicated to Saints Mary & Radegund.

Citation: 
Edward Hasted, 'Parishes: Postling', in The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 8 (Canterbury, 1799), pp. 210-218. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol8/pp210-218 [accessed 2 April 2018].

POSTLING

IS the next parish from that of Newington eastward, being written in Domesday, Postlinges, and in later records both Postlinge and Postling.

THE PARISH of Postling lies unpleasant and unfrequented, at the foot of the ridge of down or chalk hills, which are its northern boundaries. The village, having the church on the side of it, though at no great distance from the foot of them, lies very wet and swampy, from the numbers of springs in and about it. At a small distance from it is a farm, called the Pent; and lower down another, called Shrine; both belonging to Sir Edward Knatchbull, bart. In the eastern part is Postling-lees, being a grass-common of about sixty acres. The inhabitants of all the houses in this parish, except those of the Pent and Postling-court, are entitled to pasturage on this common, at the proportion of one cow to an acre and an half. Round the upper part of it are several houses, one of which is the parsonage; and at the lower corner of it are Postling-vents, where there is much coppice wood. The parish is about three miles each way; the soil in the Upper or northern part is chalky, but the rest of it is a stiff panny clay, and at most times very wet. Under the hills, above the church, rise those springs, which form the head of that branch of the river stour, called, to distinguish it from the other which rises at Lenham, the Old Stour, the principal one of which rises close to the church here, under the foot of that hill which has a single yew-tree on it. This spring, which comes out of the rock, at five or six spout-holes, big enough to receive a man's hand, is, through there are five or six others within half a mile of it, and all of them contained within the same sinus, what is commonly called the river head, and is a constant fountain, which never fails in the driest seasons. Hence it flows through this parish to Stanford, and thence under a bridge across the road to Westenhanger, and so on to Ashsord and Canterbury. When Lambarde wrote his Perambulation, in 1570, here was a park; but it has been long since disparked.

BHO - British History Online -http://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol8/pp210-218